Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Love (HATE) Technology...


Okay... I began entering items into the new POS system last night. At the rate I'm going, I'll be done sometime in mid-February. Let this be a lesson to everyone in business-land... if you decide to upgrade a major system like a point-of-sale system, make certain at least ONE of the POS-systems involved (old or new) can speak to the outside world in an easily transferable language.

We've got the old POS system that's proprietary and won't talk to our current printer any longer. The new one is SQL-based, but doesn't make transferring things easy because it won't tell us which info needs to be in which columns of the CSV file to make everything fall into place.

So, we're reduced to entering items into the new system by hand. We have over 4000 different items in stock at any given time. Yeah, time-consuming doesn't even cover it...

Well, off to the (data-entry) salt mines... =P

-- GopherDave

4 comments:

  1. Would it help at all to put a few items into the new POS, export that data to a CSV file, and see which piece of data is in each column? (I know nothing about POS systems -- sorry if this is a silly suggestion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now's a good time to just dump all that warmachine inventory so you don't have to enter it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lauby: Tell me about it...

    @ Anonymous: Probably... and if I had thought of it before I started, I'd have looked into seeing how easy it would have been to accomplish. As it goes, I might still...

    @ FunDave: Perhaps, but at the rate I'm making progress compared to how well the WM/Hordes stuff would sell (even at a discount) given the number of folks trying to dump armies around here, I'll catch up to the that section of the inventory. before too long...

    ReplyDelete