Monday, December 31, 2012

Checking In...

Hey, folks...

This is just a note to let y'all know I'm not dead.

I have been having a smattering of small, nagging health issues going on lately, and went to the doctor's office right before the holidays to kind of go over what has been happening. During the course of the discussion, the physician called for some blood work and a sleep study to be done.

I've yet to hear about the blood work, but I did the sleep study earlier this week.

I have come to the conclusion that "sleep studies" are the largest oxymoronic event ever created. Their purpose is to monitor your sleep patterns and what your body does during slumber. The technicians and doctors attempt to accomplish this by sticking about fifty leads to your body, most of them to your skull, as well as some breathing hardware around your face.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but the absolute *LAST* thing I could do during the sleep study was sleep comfortably due to the amount of stuff stuck to my body.

How is this supposed to measure a person's actual sleep issues, again? No wonder the most common diagnosis for these things is "sleep apnea". I'm pretty certain I snored, tossed, turned, and otherwise twitched my way to a suspect diagnosis that night.

All that said, I'm pretty certain I have some sort of sleep apnea, and that it is mostly weight-related. All the weight I lost earlier this year I have gained back, with some bonus pounds added for good measure. What can I say? I like to eat and hate to exercise. That will have to change, though. Three hundred and eight pounds is NOT a healthy weight for someone with heart, spine, and knee issues. New year's resolution, here I come...

Work on the Winter War events proceeds slowly. I have the four events "rough plotted", which consists of little more than about half a page of notes for each. Within the next few days, I hope to have most of the necessary details filled in in regard to story/plot. Then I will begin to work on the pre-generated characters, including writing the genre sections necessary to make them happen. Honestly, even with all of the pressure I'm feeling, I'm fairly certain I can get enough done to run these things.

But only if I get back to work... peace...

-- GopherDave

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to hear anyone go into a sleep study and come away saying, "man, I fell right to sleep."

    Then again, that's right up there with taking someone's blood pressure right after you have been getting worked up by waiting forever and shuffled off to explain what's wrong to three different people in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're not dead. Happy new year and be well.

    ReplyDelete