Sunday, May 05, 2013

One Month In...

Well... I still haven't found the camera charger. I may just have to suck it up and buy a new camera. Nothing fancy. Just something that is made to be just a camera. Not a multi-purpose phone-camera-MP3 player-random gadget. I *LIKE* discrete machines. That's one of the reasons why we have a printer, a scanner, and (eventually) a fax machine. Discrete machines tend to do their jobs better than all-in-one units, and if one breaks, I replace it and I am not down the other two functions.

Anyway... we are a month into the new space and I have come to realize something... Be *VERY* careful what you wish for, because you may just get it.

Case in point, with the new store, it's a large enough space that when it gets even moderately busy, we need two people on the floor. Unlike our previous, smaller space, one person cannot manage everything well unless it's really slow. As in, slow enough to actually be worried about lack of sales. That hasn't happened too much yet, but as the Notorious BIG once stated, "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems".

Currently, sales are such that we are doing a fraction more than we were at the old space, but we are placing more work and labor into attaining those sales. That being said, if we can get things and new systems into place, we could actually begin catching up to the curve.

As for upkeep? Yeah, we need to do the floors... badly. Trouble is, our main employee who would do most of the janitorial got a 40-hour a week gig that pays twice what we could with benefits. He still works for us, but it is very much part time and around the schedule of his new job. Don't get me wrong. I have no anger at his taking the new job. Hell, if it had been offered to me (I did not apply), I might have taken it as well. It's that good of a spot in the working world.

That being said, things need to settle down a bit so I can look at them clearly, and not through a lens of chaos. We will figure it all out, it's just going to take time, a bit money, and a *LOT* of work...

-- GopherDave

No comments:

Post a Comment