Thursday, March 15, 2012

Words Are Hard...


It's been obvious throughout our relationship that my better half is the better wordsmith among the two of us. She's also less inclined to put her foot in her mouth when she speaks. Me? There's a reason my piehole is as big as it is... frequent foot insertion.

This happens a lot when I'm trying to be a father/husband/boss. I'll approach a conversation with a couple of valid points, and state them in a calm, reasonable manner. Then, since I've gotten comfortable with all the talking, other things tumble out of my mouth... Things that have been unrehearsed... and they frequently get verbalized in a hurtful manner. Keep in mind, I'm not *trying* to be hurtful, but that is how it comes out sometimes.

My wife is physically "wrecky", meaning that if something can be crashed into, she'll probably do so. In the early part of our relationship, I used to get angry. Now, when it happens anymore, I just try to hold her and help clean up the mess. I'm used to it, because it's part of who it is.

Me? I'm verbally/emotionally "wrecky", and I think that is worse. It can mean more hurt feelings than there needs to be over stuff that, in the grand scheme of things, is minor. I am better than I used to be, but it's apparent that I have much more work to do.

For those of you wondering what I am babbling about, sorry to confuse you. Just had to get some stuff out.

-- GopherDave

No comments:

Post a Comment