Saturday, September 08, 2012

(Not) Just Another Day Of Nothing...


When I first started this entry, it was early in the morning, and with the exception of about six orders coming in and Friday Night Magic later tonight, I figured it to be a pretty normal day.

Then the small lightning storm hit at around noon or so, and the store lost Internet and the ability to take credit cards. Comcast was called. The tech showed up around 3PM. Looked at things and pronounced out wireless router was screwbarred, and it needed to be replaced. I scratched my head a bit given that we still had a wireless network, but the router and the cable modem were not on speaking terms, so I went with it and picked up a new router.

It wasn't the router...

Turns out, three of the four ports of the cable modem were blown and it needed to be replaced. Comcast said they would send someone out right away. I called back at 7:35PM and was assured that a tech would show up between 7:30PM and 11PM Friday night. At 11:05, I called them back as no tech had shown up... then things get ugly...

It turns out that they had NOT sent the request down the line, and that we had an appointment set up between 7:30AM and 10AM Saturday morning. That was the first I had heard about that particular appointment, and things spiraled from there as I ran into the most unhelpful people I've ever encountered in my life.

Apparently it was my fault for thinking they would be out on Friday night when not one, but two of Comcast's own representatives told me they would be.

The only good thing out of it was we were able to wrangle credit card capability out of the one working port, so we were not up the creek there.

I used to sing Comcast's praises. They honestly had not really given me a bad experience in terms of service before tonight. Tonight, though... Well... Let's just say that it has washed all goodwill away on that front...

-- GopherDave

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, we have had such trouble with Comcast. Glad to hear you got at least one port working (I'm hoping to get soem new games today!).

    We had a six to eight month stretch extremely unreliable internet connections. Techs who kept giving different answers. I finally got the answer that basically they're supposed to try as hard as possible to demonstrate it is something in the house, even though they where showing issues when directly plugged into the cable network.

    What finally worked was Colleen filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. Within a few days the called us, send out a tech, then send out another to *gasp* fix the pole that had been struck by lightning and then inhabited by squirrels that I suspected and pointed out to several techs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    I work for Comcast and I sincerely apologize for the trouble. I'd like to make sure your concerns are addressed. Please feel free to contact me with your account info and a link to this page.

    Thanks!

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark...

    Already sent feedback to "the Office of Rick Germano". Have been contacted by "Nick" from ComCast earlier today.

    As it goes... Things are up and running, but they seem slower than before. Images take forever to load, and video stutters about every 5 to 10 seconds, where as there were none of those issues prior.

    In general, I felt lead on and deceived through the entire ordeal on September 7th.

    Your heading is "ComcastCares1", but if you folks truly cared, you would back up the words of your representatives and send people to fix problems when you say you will instead of having to apoloogize all over yourselves for "miscommunications" three days later.

    In all honesty, empty words and a $20 "missed appointment" credit really isn't much of an apology for the hassle I went through. No... A real apology would be something on the order of free service for a year, but somehow I don't think that is going to happen. Color me jaded...

    ReplyDelete