Wednesday, December 05, 2012

The World We Live In...

Mondays are supposed to be one of  my days off. Does this look like a day off to you?

[NOTE: This post was started Monday, December 3rd. I am way behind.]

Mondays are typically a slacker day for me. Usually I go into the store and place orders for product. Sometimes I run an errand or two. Today? Nope. I had enough store-related stuff to do that I figured I might as well represent the place well and put the uniform on. It was kind of a good thing that I did. I met a couple of folks who may prove to be useful contacts in the future.

My general impression in this day and age is that first impressions do not mean as much as they did even a decade ago. Between DotCom casual and the general slackerization of the country, people are being judged more on their capabilities rather than their appearance. That is, overall, a good thing. Redefining our assessments of people beyond clothing, skin color, weight (or lack there of) is an advancement of the human condition.

That being said, I'll keep doing this for a while longer. I get taken more seriously at stores for one thing. In my "slacker uniform" of t-shirt, sweatpants/jeans, backward baseball cap, and hoodie, it becomes difficult to get help because it looks like I have no money to spend. Worse yet, I have been followed around stores like I was a potential shoplifter. When wearing the GopherDave uniform, I rarely have to wait for help, and I could probably make off with half of a store's inventory with nary a thought by the staff because I look "respectable".

My point to all of this? Not certain I have one other than the times are a (slowly) changin'...

-- GopherDave

No comments:

Post a Comment