Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Scare Continues...

Though you cannot tell from the picture, the shirt is a light, pearl gray in color. It works well.

Sat down with the daughter to show her Hellraiser last night. As we watched, a couple of things came to my mind. One, the movie is kind of dated. Honestly, most of the movies I have been showing her are, but Hellraiser seemed to suffer from this problem more than the other films we've watched thus far. The other thing that came to mind is that Hellraiser isn't actually all that scary. Some of the ideas and concepts it introduces are frightening, but only after you think about them for a bit. The movie itself isn't that terrifying at all.

We'll be watching The Collector Wednesday evening. It looks to be enjoyable. The girl and I witnessed a preview for the sequel (the Collection) when we went to see Sinister. The preview for that looked pretty creepy, and sort of bodes well for the first film.

Other scares will continue tonight as I dive back into running my Deadlands: Reloaded - the Last Sons campaign. I am hoping to finish the initial plot point tonight, but may not. The group is still new to the system and the setting, and getting them to go in a direction is sort of like trying to herd crack-addled cats. Still, I'm looking for a good time and I hope they are as well.

Onward, into the Weird West and Silver Screens...

-- GopherDave

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you say Hellraiser appears somewhat dated.

    I didn't actually sit down and watch The Exorcist until I was in my late 20's (about ten years ago) and at the time I was like "what's the big deal?" I watched it again just a couple of years ago and realized that it truly must've been terrifying when it was released in 1973.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watching Hellraiser and taking in the look and the feel of the movie, it all seems very 1980's to me. Don't get me wrong. I like the 80's. I spent my teenage years during them, in fact. It just seemed like the look/feel of Hellraiser overtook the story as I was watching it.

    Yes, the Omen and the Exorcist drip of 70's fashion and habit. I mean, everyone in the Exorcist seems to be a two-pack-a-day chain smoker which is something that's been heavily downplayed in movies over the recent years. Yet, despite the look/feel of them, neither the Omen nor the Exorcist feel as dated as Hellraiser because their stories still reign over their look. The Omen and Exorcist have characters you like, or at least can sympathize with.

    Hellraiser? I couldn't have cared if anyone in that movie lived or died... The heroine is an idiot. Her boyfriend/love interest might as well not even exist. Her father is an even bigger idiot than she is. Her stepmother is the poster child for "sultry, selfish, conceited, deceitful, and aloof". Her uncle is just a generic, irresponsible bad guy who doesn't want to pay the consequences for his actions. I mean, Pinhead and the rest of the Cenobites are the coolest, most likable characters in the movie because they are at least honest about who they are, what they are about, and what they are going to do.

    Not trying to rant, just the more I think about it, the more I realize that a movie that I thought was "really cool" while I was growing up is, in reality, utter shite.

    ReplyDelete