Sunday, March 20, 2011

Computer Doctor

I took the home machine to one of the best computer techs that I know. He worked on it for a bit, and discovered that the machine did not have one virus... it had SIX. Five of those were related to each other in terms of what they did, the other was an oddball, but one of them had shut off the updating abilities of both AVG Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.

So, he cleaned the machine, we updated the anti-virus software a bit, and things seemed to run as fast on his network as I ever remember them. I came home, hooked the machine back up to my home network, and it was just like before I took the machine to the TechGopher. Slower than dial-up. I ran updates for things... it took way longer for things to download than they should have, but at least they were downloading.

After firing off an update message to my tech friend, I headed to the "library" to have a good "think". While there, I hit upon the fact that I had not reset the cable modem after I hooked the computer back up. So I put down my "book", came out and did the modem reset...

Everything's better now...

It's days like this when I feel like I shouldn't even own a computer...

Thanks, Paul. Your help is way appreciated. I just wish I was quicker on the uptake sometimes...

-- GopherDave

No comments:

Post a Comment