Saturday, February 05, 2011

Honey-Teriyaki Burgers

Okay, I spent 20 years in food service in a combination of both manager and employee. In that time, I have become a pretty handy guy to have around a kitchen. One of my talents that throws my wife off to no end is my ability to take disparate items and make a tasty meal out of them.

From that skill comes my love to experiment with food. It doesn't come often, but occasionally my culinary creativity rears its ugly head. Sometimes, it's only to modify a recipe I already know (like taking my mother's good, but bland, taco recipe and adding my own twist to it (see below)). Other times though... ...an idea springs almost fully formed in my head. It may get a tweak or two the first couple of time I try it, but my first try is pretty spot on. This was one of those times...

Hawaiian Honey-Teriyaki Burgers ala GopherDave

INGREDIENTS

Basic Burger

2.5 pounds of ground beef
5 ounces of clover honey
5 ounces of teriyaki sauce
1 package of onion soup mix

Full Effect

Slices of provolone cheese
King's Hawaiian Sweet Sandwich Rolls
Green Pepper(s), cleaned and cut into rings
Red Pepper(s), cleaned and cut into rings
Pineapple Rings

1-- Take the ingredients for the Basic Burger, throw them into a large enough bowl, and mix them well.

2 -- Dole out the meat in 1/2 or 1/3 pound portions and flatten. You don't want them to be paper thin, but you will want them thinner than you average burger of that weight.

3 -- Cook them however you wish (pan-fry, bake, flat grill, gas/charcoal grill). Be VERY careful to make certain that the burgers are done on the inside. The teriyaki sauce, once heated, gives the burgers a dark red coloration that makes them look more cooked than they actually are. Don't be fooled like I was the first time I made these and bit into an almost raw burger.

These first three steps will get you a good burger that's a bit different from the norm, and a nice change of pace. If you really want make it shine, proceed to the Full Effect.

3 -- Cook the burgers on an outdoor grill. Keep a bottle of water handy to squirt down flames as the honey/teriyaki sauce bleeds out of the burgers and makes the fire flare up. Again, watch to make certain the burgers are actually as done as you want them and not undercooked.

4 -- After the first flip, place pepper and pineapple rings on the grill. About halfway when you think you're going to flip the burger, flip the veggie/fruit rings.

5 -- Just as the burger is getting done, place a slice of provolone cheese on the burger to get it to start melting. Once the cheese is soft, take the pepper and pineapple rings and place them on the burger, on top of the cheese.

6 -- Take the whole mass when it's done and place it on one of the Hawaiian sandwich rolls.

Other condiments (ketchup, mustard, pickles etc.), while an option, are actually NOT encouraged. I give you my word that this burger, when done to Full Effect, is good enough to stand on its own with no help whatsoever. Trust me.

Beyond that, enjoy!

-- GopherDave

No comments:

Post a Comment